New FATXplorer tool "Xbox 360 HDD Maker" modifies firmware on HDDs to make them Xbox 360 compatible

full.png

The Xbox 360 is long gone, but the homebrew and hacking scene of a console is always searching for ways to revitalize and keep older consoles alive, and such is the case for a newly developed tool for the Xbox 360 that aims to make hard-drives compatible with the console.

The original OEM hard drives for the 360 are getting scarce and more rare as time goes on, and it's only a matter of time before the vast majority of the original hard drives manufactured for the system begin to fail in one way or another given the usual HDD lifespan. One such existing tool, HDDHackr, managed to successfully make third party hard drives compatible with the Xbox 360. However, this tool hasn't seen updates in more than a decade, making it fairly obsolete, more so with the number of different and modern chipsets floating around.

Thankfully, a new tool has jumped up to the task of creating another solution for modifying already existing Western Digital hard drives into Xbox 360 compatibles drives, with this new tool being called "Xbox 360 HDD Maker". This new tool for FATXplorer gets rid of the annoyances of having to create a bootable USB, mess with BIOS settings and other things, with the only real requirement to run it being a Windows PC and a USB to SATA adapter for the hard drive.

FATXplorer - Xbox 360 HDD Maker said:
Anyone who has done any sort of tinkering with Xbox 360 knows about HDDHackr. For many years, HDDHackr was the only way to make a hard-drive compatible on retail Xbox 360s. It has been an incredibly useful tool and was so far ahead of its time. The developers should be commended for their work. Unfortunately, development on it stopped more than 10 years ago and it has grown more difficult to use due to modern chipset compatibility issues. OEM Xbox 360 hard-drives are also no longer in production. As these OEM drives start to fail, the need for a tool to make compatible drives has been growing.

FATXplorer 3.0 beta 32 has a brand-new solution, a tool named Xbox 360 HDD Maker

This tool aims to be an easier and more accesible way to the already existing HDDHackr tool from years ago, and more importantly, it tries to reinvigorate and give options to gamers with their beloved Xbox 360 system to still have their console in a functional form with more accesible modern hard drives, without the risk of having their original OEM hard drives failing to the passage of time.

:arrow: Xbox 360 HDD Maker Website

SylverReZ

80s/90s Commodore Fanatic
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn, all we need now is an hypervisor exploit on the latest firmware.
If you mean by a 'softmod', this is never going to happen. Modchips are the only way to go.

The Xbox 360 is long gone, but the homebrew and hacking scene of a console is always searching for ways to revitalize and keep older consoles alive, and such is the case for a newly developed tool for the Xbox 360 that aims to make hard-drives compatible with the console.​
This is pretty cool to know. I might try this the next time I mod an Xbox 360.

Reactions: BigOnYa

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How big of a hard drive can you use 250GB 320GB 500GB or more?
You can go up to 2TB.
Edit: Looks like 500GB is the limit
Q: What is the largest drive I can use?
A: With the currently available security sectors, the maximum space the retail Xbox 360 kernel will allow you to use is 465.76 GB. While you can flash and use larger drives up to 2 TB, only 465.76 GB will be utilized. It is not possible to raise this utilization limit on retail. This is an entirely different challenge and 465.76 GB will probably be the limit forever. Also note RGH and JTAG consoles do not have this limit.

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: BigOnYa

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

DragonMals

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Trophies
Country
United States
And I don't even know what version is the latest for the 360 as I don't own one.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
If you mean by a 'softmod', this is never going to happen. Modchips are the only way to go.
Technically you don't even need a chip anymore. Some really smart people figured out how to get the console to glitch itself, so all you need is some soldering skills, wires and resistors, and a NAND flasher.
Or you could send it into someone with all of that already available to them...

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Technically you don't even need a chip anymore. Some really smart people figured out how to get the console to glitch itself, so all you need is some soldering skills, wires and resistors, and a NAND flasher.
Or you could send it into someone with all of that already available to them...
That's what I meant by a modchip (a.k.a. glitch chips). They're exactly the same thing.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should have been possible/allowed officially from the start (without resorting to tools like this), just like with PS3's.. one of the things i really dislike about MS..
Good job!

And even worse again with Series consoles.

Microsoft have proven theor goal is to artificially inflate prices. They've blocked workarounds with updates, restricted manufacturers who can manufacture Expansion Cards, made no effort to introduce alternative methods or options.

They have now also introduced a more expensive model, the difference being 2TB storage, instead of 1TB. They've ensured they have no incentive to reduce prices at all

Reactions: Exnor and CoolMe

MultiKoopa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know anything about 360 modding. Is it possible to use an SSD with one, without hacking it in a way that'll automatically get you banned from online?

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is pretty cool to know. I might try this the next time I mod an Xbox 360.

Why Windows isn't as safe as Xbox 360?
Anyway interesting. Hopefully I find myself a pre modded Xbox 360 someday.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    battleknight07 @ battleknight07: ye