Homebrew 3d on 3DS for unsupported games

BruhCheese

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know this has been talked about for ages but everyone seems to think its not possibe because you'd have to remake each game.
But if we look at how 3d tvs faked 3d with non 3d content by shifting the same frame for each eye I dont see why you cant emulate that on the 3ds even with the problems of that style of 3d like cropping and stuff.
It also removes the proccessing cost of native 3d because its the same frame shifted for each eye instead of rendering both cameras.
If anyone is skilled enough which I definetly am not please try to implement this. As far as im aware it could literaly just be a filter that duplicates and shifts frames.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know this has been talked about for ages but everyone seems to think its not possibe because you'd have to remake each game.
But if we look at how 3d tvs faked 3d with non 3d content by shifting the same frame for each eye I dont see why you cant emulate that on the 3ds even with the problems of that style of 3d like cropping and stuff.
It also removes the proccessing cost of native 3d because its the same frame shifted for each eye instead of rendering both cameras.
If anyone is skilled enough which I definetly am not please try to implement this. As far as im aware it could literaly just be a filter that duplicates and shifts frames.
And you are aware that most people are not going to do things for free especially if its going to be a hard task to do? So. In that case. What are you going to offer those that might want to try that to have incentives for wasting their time.

BruhCheese

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And you are aware that most people are not going to do things for free especially if its going to be a hard task to do? So. In that case. What are you going to offer those that might want to try that to have incentives for wasting their time.
Im in no position in my life to offer any insentive but this was just meant to be a potential approach to the making 2d games 3d as everything ive found on the topic has been people talking about how it would be impossible as you would have to rebuild each game to bake in native support.

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's still not gonna look like how you want, it's gonna look like a 3d image of a flat screen.

Cranesbill

Triumph Fury
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Colombia
It's a cool dream, I'll give you that, but I don't think there's any professionals right now that are willing to do this. Besides it won't have the same effect if we go with the 3D TV route, since there's no layers, it'll be the exact same image slightly popping out. Do you want that?

Reactions: emcintosh

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a cool dream, I'll give you that, but I don't think there's any professionals right now that are willing to do this. Besides it won't have the same effect if we go with the 3D TV route, since there's no layers, it'll be the exact same image slightly popping out. Do you want that?
It would also half the frame rate... or worse, double the framerate giving a noticeable drop in quality.
A lot of the titles that didn't have 3d did so to increase performance.

Reactions: Cranesbill

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would also half the frame rate... or worse, double the framerate giving a noticeable drop in quality.
no it wouldn't, all your doing is sending the same framebuffer as a 3d image to the screen, with each eye seeing the exact same image. You're not rendering the game twice, so there's hardly any performance impact.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
To actually get true 3D you have to modify the camera perspective when switching between left and right eye and render again. This is not something easy to add to games we have no source code for and requires understanding how the game engine renders every scene.

Just using the same frame for left and right eye will look boring and flat.

BruhCheese

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a 3d tv thats like 10 years old and it doesnt look like that it looks more like sprite based games where the 3d is in layers this does cause things on layers to look quite flat but with a tiny bit of depth but still a cool thing over just 2d. Definetly more of a novelty ill admit but still cool in my opinion.

Its the same frame duplicated and shifted slighty right and left so no extra rendering just the exact same render twice thus no real performance impact

no it wouldn't, all your doing is sending the same framebuffer as a 3d image to the screen, with each eye seeing the exact same image. You're not rendering the game twice, so there's hardly any performance impact.
Its 2 images slightly shifted right and left so there is slight cropping on the edges but definetly not the same image thus creating a fake depth

Last edited by BruhCheese,

TheGuyUpstairs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, he is not the only one looking into it .. dream or not.. professionals or not... we in the backgrounds .. are finding answers.. paid for or not ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/1tUy78T8Euo?t=62